Before Hair Transplant Operation
You are advised not to smoke starting from the morning of the operation and for at least 36 hours post-operation. You are advised not to consume alcohol 1 day before and 5 days after the operation. You should also minimize your consumption of caffeine and green tea.
On the operation day, you can take a shower and you must have breakfast before coming to hospital. Wear clothes with buttons on the front side or a zippered sweatshirt and choose comfortable shoes.
In the tests performed before the operation we check Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C and HIV. If any of
these tests is positive, we will unfortunately cancel the operation.
The painkiller given you during the operation will allow you to have a comfortable night.
Additionally you will be explained in detail about the medication you should use.
After Hair Transplantation Operation
You can now get your hair wet. You will be given Spec.İbrahim medical shampoo and a foam. On the 2nd day you must use them to wash your grafts according to the way instructed by the doctor. They keep your grafts moist and help with any irritating itching. Washing routine is like this:
- First apply the foam on top of grafts very gently, letting the foam soak the crusts, wait 45 minutes and then stand under a gentle, lukewarm shower for five minutes.
- Put some medical shampoo in the palm of your hand, foam it with water and then gently put the foam on the top of your head, allowing the lather to runover your head and slowly moving it over the whole head. Leave for 5 minutes and wash off, as above. But do not scratch!
- Leave your hair to air-dry, applying your fingers to style it, tapping gently with a paper towel. DO NOT RUB! You must wash your grafts once a day for 15 days.
- After washing is finished, apply the RIF Ampule to your donor area, don’t rewash it.
- For the first 3 washes you must use the RIF Ampule to your donor area.
- Some forehead swelling will peak now and disappear over the next several days.
You should momentarily be shampooing everyday with a mild shampoo and a foam such as the ones we give. You should use the shampoo to the rear or sides of the head, apart from your grafts and lightly work into a lather. You should then lightly allow the foamy suds to run onto the grafts. Do not be moved to pick at the crusts but don’t be startled if any of the graft hairs come off with the loose crusts. This is absolutely normal. This should be conducted everyday as this benefits to speed up the healing process.
You can immediately start to wash regularly with medical shampoo and begin to use your palm when washing. You don’t need to wash every day and you can go back to your regular hair washing
routine. It is an excellent time to have a hairstyle but not too short to start with i.e. not faster than electrical clipper setting “4”. My recommendation is to cut with scissors for the preceding 6 months. Over the following six months, the single hairs will start developing through, getting more extended everyday. It is necessary to apprehend that the hair does not seem to be “all at once” but is a progressive, random process.
Highest results are produced by 24 months. Formerly when all the hair has grown to a suitable length you can treat your hair usually – washing, drying, dyeing, cutting etc.
It is common not to notice some thickening at all before three months and it usually needs six to nine months before thick growth occurs within. It is also normal for the transplants to originally develop for several weeks, then shed repeatedly at 4 weeks, before regrowing again.